Tuesday 22 December 2015

The Key to Winter Reading



Step One: Find a cosy corner. The armchair, the bed, your favourite spot in the library. Anywhere really that’s warm, quiet and comfortable. Extra points if you have a lovely wintry view to gaze on.

Step Two: Choose a book. The most important stage, of course. Winter is the time for comfort so it’s no surprise if you find yourself returning to old favourites that never let you down. I tend to go for festive reads. One absolute favourite is Christmas Pudding by Nancy Mitford – country house shenanigans, satirical swipes abound.  At the moment I’m reading The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle by Arthur Conan Doyle. This is particularly recommended for those who are anxiously counting down the days to the Sherlock special - I know I am.

Step Three: Select a snack and drink. My personal winter beverage of choice is Whittard’s white hot chocolate because it’s the colour of snow and I can imagine myself drinking it in a cosy log cabin. I tend not to eat and read (crumbs in pages, chocolate smears obscuring page numbers etc.) but there is always something tasty up for grabs in my house at this time of year so who am I to refuse?

Step Four: Optional Extras. Now, it’s time to make it yours. Add candles, hot water bottles, bolster yourself with plump cushions. Be comfy and enjoy.


2 comments:

  1. I love this! My optional extra would be a Christmas blanket. I just realised that I have read hardly any Christmas books. I better get cracking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh such a lovely list, it's put me in to a wintry mood all over again! I recently treated myself to a shed load of fluffy pillows so I can't wait to cosy up and get reading in the evenings :D lovely blog! xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | (doing follow for follow on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...